Read more of this story at Slashdot.
You don’t spend a trillion dollars on the military for benign reasons. The idea that a country spends as much on its military as the rest of the world and has military personnel deployed in three-quarters of the world’s countries does so for purely defensive reasons is the absurdity it appears to be. As former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright memorably said to General Colin Powell, “What’s the point of having this superb military you’re always talking about if we can’t use it?” Ah, bipartisanship...Topic(s):
'Innocence of Muslims' was first uploaded to YouTube in 2012, sparking a wave of protests across the Middle East because of unfavorable depictions of the prophet Muhammad as a pedophile. The 14-minute film was controversial enough that the Obama administration first blamed the movie for being the driving force behind the US consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya that killed four Americans.
Pakistani lawmakers offered a reward for the assassination of the film's director, Mark Basseley Youssef, with actors who starred in the film reporting that they have had to go into hiding.
Cindy Lee Garcia, one of the stars of the movie, filed suit against Google (which owns YouTube) in an attempt to force the company to take the video offline. She said her copyright had been infringed upon because she did not know how the film would ultimately be used, and her words were overdubbed without her consent.
In a late February decision, the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals sided 2-1 with Garcia, rejecting the company’s argument that the forcible removal of the video would violate Google’s right to free speech under the First Amendment. Instead, YouTube was given 24 hours to take the video offline and ordered to make every effort to prevent it from being uploaded in the future.
“Garcia was duped into providing an artistic performance that was used in a way she never could have foreseen,” wrote Chief Judge Alex Kizinski.
“The problem isn’t that ‘Innocence of Muslims’ is not an Arabian adventure movie: it’s that the film isn’t intended to entertain at all. The film differs so radically from anything Garcia could have imagined when she was cast that it can’t possibly be authorized by any implied license she granted.”
Google argued that setting such a precedent “would wreak havoc on movie studios, documentary filmmakers, and creative enterprises of all types by giving their most minor contributors control over their products.” The company also claimed “the First Amendment protects not just the right to express information, but to receive it.”
YouTube has since removed the video, but Google appealed to the entire 9th Circuit Court and will argue the matter again in the coming months. On their side is a plethora of media organizations including the Los Angeles Times, The EW Scripps Company, Advance Publications, California Newspapers Publishers Association, the First Amendment Coalition, and others.
The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press announced Thursday that a friend-of-the-court brief had been filed.
“By ordering the immediate suppression of a controversial video that has been the subject of widespread discussion over the last two years, based on the alleged copyright interest of one performer who appears in a few seconds of the film, the Panel’s decision poses serious risk to news organizations that extend far beyond this case,” the brief stated.
Facebook, Yahoo, eBay, and Adobe are among the companies that have previously filed similar court briefs. Netflix filed its own earlier this week, begging judges to consider the ramifications that ruling against YouTube could have in the future.
“Can a bit-part actor in ‘Gone With the Wind’ now seek an injunction...because he does not approve of the use of his performance in a piece of ‘Yankee propaganda?'” the streaming video company asked, as quoted by the Hollywood Reporter. “What about his heirs? And even if he signed some agreement in 1939 defining the scope of the license, what are the chances that the studio (to say nothing of Netflix) can lay its hands on it?”
The media groups warned that the situation is quite dire, saying the February decision “expands the concept of copyright ownership in a manner that could allow the subjects of news coverage to exercise veto power over unflattering broadcasts.”
Michael S. Tsirkin of Red Hat discovered a buffer overflow flaw in the way qemu processed MAC addresses table update requests from the guest.
Michael S. Tsirkin of Red Hat discovered a buffer overflow flaw in the way qemu processed MAC addresses table update requests from the guest.
Grams is only available to internet users who subscribe to Tor, a service that allows users to remain anonymous online. Inside that world of anonymity, which is only available via Tor and similar services, is the Dark Web – a vast, shadowy part of the internet that is not indexed on normal search engines.
The Dark Web – also known as the Deep Web and by a variety of other names – was for years home to the Silk Road, a massive market where users could buy or sell drugs, illegal weapons, illegal services, and a variety of other options online. The Silk Road was taken down by the FBI last year, though, with a number of similar sites rushing (but ultimately failing) to replace it.
Grams administrators hope to be the exception to the rule. In an interview with Wired, the creator – who perhaps not surprisingly wished to remain anonymous – said the loss of the Silk Road has created a large gap in the black market.
“I noticed on the forums and Reddit people were constantly asking, ‘Where to get product X?’ and ‘Which market had product X?’ or ‘Who had the best product X and was reliable and not a scam?’” the entreprenuer said. “I wanted to make it easy for people to find things they wanted on the darknet and figure out who was a trustworthy vendor.”
Grams only launched last week and is still in beta mode, although Wired reported that heroin, weapons – including a Glock and Ruger pistol – and various kinds of ammunition are already available.
For inspiration, the unnamed developers are using one of the most successful online companies of all time.
“I am working on the algorithm so it is a lot like Google’s it will have a scoring system based on how long the listing has been up, how many transactions, how many good reviews. That way you will see the best listing first,” the creator wrote on a Reddit post, as quoted by journalist Kim Zetter.
“Within the next two weeks Grams will have a system similar to Google AdWords where vendors can buy keywords and their listings will go to the top of the search results when those keywords are searched for. They will be bordered with an advertisement disclaimer so users know those are paid results.”
How long Grams will be able to avoid attention from law enforcement remains to be seen. However, with the always booming demand for easy drugs, the risk may even be worth the reward. The operator of the Silk Road reportedly earned millions of dollars in commission alone from his website, and new research from the Global Drug Survey found that nearly half of the 60 percent of Britons who had heard of the Silk Road had used it to buy drugs.
“The fact that 44 percent of respondents who had bought drugs online said they’d done it for the first time recently says to me that there is growing recruitment,” Dr. Adam Winstock, an addiction psychiatrist and director of the study, told the Guardian. “It is currently a minority way to get drugs, but it really mimics the growth in e-commerce – we buy things online because it is convenient, cheap, and there is a better product range.”
According to the federal charges, Seilhan used confidential information on the extent of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico to profit, by selling over $1 million in BP company stock right before the stock crashed. He would have lost about $100,000 if he had sold the stock after the price tumbled, CNNMoney reported.
On April 20, 2010, the BP-operated Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, killing 11 workers. Two days later, the rig sank, breaking the seal on the well cap on the ocean floor. As a result, oil gushed from the damaged well for 87 days, ultimately spilling 4.9 million barrels of oil, according to a multi-agency government report released in 2011.
Seilhan had been working for BP for over 20 years when the explosion occurred, according to his LinkedIn profile. Shortly after the spill began, the company deployed him to its Incident Command Center in Houma, La., where he coordinated BP’s initial oil collection and clean-up operations in the Gulf of Mexico and along the coastline. In this role, he received non-public information about the disaster, including oil flow estimates and data relating to the volume of oil floating on the surface of the Gulf.
According to the SEC’s federal court filing, “By April 29, 2010, BP was publicly estimating that the flow rate of the spill was up to 5,000 barrels of oil per day (“bopd”), as set forth in its filings with the Commission. However, the Company’s public estimate was significantly less than the actual flow rate occurring at the time, which was estimated later to be between 52,700 and 62,200 bopd.”
The filing goes on to say: “On April 29 and 30, 2010, while in possession of this material, nonpublic information, and in breach of duties owed to BP and its shareholders, Seilhan caused to be sold his and his family’s entire $1 million portfolio of BP securities...Following Seilhan’s trades, the price of BP ADSs declined by approximately 48% over time, reaching its lowest point in late June 2010.”
The SEC says BP shares closed at $60.48 on the day of the explosion, but fell to $27.02 – the 48 percent decline the SEC referred to above – by late June.
In the facts section of the filing, the SEC goes into more detail of Seilhan’s knowledge of BP’s guidance on insider trading, noting that on May 5, 2010, a BP attorney sent a reminder to employees working on the Deepwater Horizon disaster to avoid potential insider trading. But that e-mail was sent five days after the last of Seilhan’s transactions.
The e-mail pointed out that BP’s code of conduct “prohibits you from trading on the basis of any price sensitive information relating to either BP securities or those of any other publicly traded company," and advised employees to respond with any questions about prohibited transactions. The SEC says that BP’s employees are required to review the Code of Conduct annually.
Seilhan responded to the attorney the same day, saying: “Thanks for this. I would like to discuss with you soon.” The in-house attorney reached out to Seilhan six days later via e-mail and voicemail, but Seilhan never responded back, nor did he disclose his stock sales, the filing said.
Seilhan will pay a $105,409 penalty, $105,409 in restitution, and $13,300 in interest under the terms of the settlement, Fox News reported. The settlement still needs to be approved by a federal judge. Seilhan chose to settle because "Four years have passed and Mr. Seilhan wants to avoid further distraction and protracted litigation," his attorney, Mary McNamara, said in a statement, as reported by AFP.
BP previously paid a $525 million settlement after the SEC claimed that the company publicly underestimated the size of the spill, Businessweek reported. It also pleaded guilty to obstruction of Congress for its underestimation. That guilty plea was part of a $4 billion resolution to 11 felony counts and two misdemeanor charges brought against the company by the US.
BP announced on Tuesday that the “active cleanup” along the Gulf Coast had ended, just in time for the fourth anniversary of the oil rig explosion.
“The U.S. Coast Guard today ended patrols and operations on the final three shoreline miles in Louisiana, bringing to a close the extensive four-year active cleanup of the Gulf Coast following the Deepwater Horizon accident,” a press release stated.
The Coast Guard disputed BP’s conclusion later on Tuesday. “Let me be absolutely clear: This response is not over---not by a long shot,” Capt. Thomas Sparks, the federal on-scene coordinator for the Deepwater Horizon Response, said in a statement. “The transition to the Middle Response process does not end clean-up operations, and we continue to hold the responsible party accountable for Deepwater Horizon cleanup costs.”
Tor, which allows secure access to the internet through user anonymity, is made possible through a network of donated servers that exchange encrypted data amongst each other before returning through an “exit node,” or the server that is connected back to the internet. The goal is to obscure just where traffic is moving, in order to evade any observers.
Some Tor nodes are operating on servers using OpenSSL versions, the popular encryption software attacked by the Heartbleed bug. One could use the Heartbleed flaw to ascertain Tor information, compromising the network’s security, the Guardian wrote.
Roger Dingledine, an original developer of Tor, has suggested that nodes running unpatched, still-vulnerable versions of OpenSSL should be banished from the network.
"If the other directory authority operators follow suit, we'll lose about 12% of the exit capacity and 12% of the guard capacity," Dingledine wrote on the software's mailing list.
OpenSSL could allow the servers back once they were upgraded to protect against Heartbleed’s vulnerabilities, but "if they were still vulnerable as of [Tuesday], I really don't want this identity key on the Tor network even after they've upgraded their OpenSSL,” Dingledine wrote.
Early last week, the open-source OpenSSL project released an emergency security advisory warning of Heartbleed – a bug that pulls in private keys to a server using vulnerable software, allowing operators to suck in data traffic and even impersonate the server. Heartbleed was first noticed by a Google researcher and Codenomicon, a Finnish security firm.
On Wednesday, a 19-year-old Canadian man became the first person arrested in relation to Heartbleed. Stephen Arthuro Solis-Reyes is accused of exploiting the vulnerability to steal around 900 Social Insurance Numbers from the Canadian Revenue Agency’s website late last week.
I think the bitcoin community might be into the idea of penny (or satoshi) auctions
So, you would buy one satoshi for 60 cents...