How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

Ralf Mardorf's picture

Forums: 

Hi Smile

I'm new to this list. I'm a long time Linux only user, interested in
audio and MIDI. Regarding to several issues with distros I did use, e.g.
coercion to use PulseAudio, I like to switch the distro.

At the moment I've got Suse 11.2 64-bit, used to run e.g. proprietary
lightscribe apps, that even don't run on my Edubuntu Maverick 32-bit, an
absolutely stable and completely MIDI jitter free audio MIDI
workstation, but the mouse wheel doesn't work on this install. The
latest install is a 64-bit Ubuntu Studio Natty 64-bit. I've given up to
fix the issues I've got with this install, but already installed Debian
stable with 'Standard System utilities' by the
debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst CD.

When I logged in tty1 and tried to run pppoeconf I noticed that
pppoeconf isn't installed.

Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
another way to get a PPPoE connection?

Is there a meta-package that will install a system with X, GNOME2, but
without PA? I'll build a kernel-rt and a lot of audio apps myself, is
there a meta-package that will install make, checkinstall etc.?

Btw. when I booted Ubuntu Natty, after installing this minimal Debian
stable, I first has to search it between tons of grotesque GRUB menu
entries, e.g. here isn't 64 Studio installed on my machine, but I get
entries for 64 Studio installs that where installed in the past. When
Natty started I got a wrong screen resolution and a bad vertically
frequency for the CTR monitor. I edited grub.cfg manually, yes manually
and since then, booting Natty is ok again. Unfortunately I seems to know
different versions of GRUB2, because e.g. 'submenu' is ignored by
Debian's GRUB, but this isn't important, anyway a PITA.

So, after installing the 'Standard System utilities' what should I do
next to get Debian stable?

I won't download and burn 8 DVDs.

Best,

Ralf

PS: How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

Ralf Mardorf's picture

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 01:00 +0200, I wrote:
> Hi Smile
>
> I'm new to this list. I'm a long time Linux only user, interested in
> audio and MIDI. Regarding to several issues with distros I did use, e.g.
> coercion to use PulseAudio, I like to switch the distro.
>
> At the moment I've got Suse 11.2 64-bit, used to run e.g. proprietary
> lightscribe apps, that even don't run on my Edubuntu Maverick 32-bit, an
> absolutely stable and completely MIDI jitter free audio MIDI
> workstation, but the mouse wheel doesn't work on this install. The
> latest install is a 64-bit Ubuntu Studio Natty 64-bit. I've given up to
> fix the issues I've got with this install, but already installed Debian
> stable with 'Standard System utilities' by the
> debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst CD.
>
> When I logged in tty1 and tried to run pppoeconf I noticed that
> pppoeconf isn't installed.
>
> Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> another way to get a PPPoE connection?
>
> Is there a meta-package that will install a system with X, GNOME2, but
> without PA? I'll build a kernel-rt and a lot of audio apps myself, is
> there a meta-package that will install make, checkinstall etc.?
>
> Btw. when I booted Ubuntu Natty, after installing this minimal Debian
> stable, I first has to search it between tons of grotesque GRUB menu
> entries, e.g. here isn't 64 Studio installed on my machine, but I get
> entries for 64 Studio installs that where installed in the past. When
> Natty started I got a wrong screen resolution and a bad vertically
> frequency for the CTR monitor. I edited grub.cfg manually, yes manually
> and since then, booting Natty is ok again. Unfortunately I seems to know
> different versions of GRUB2, because e.g. 'submenu' is ignored by
> Debian's GRUB, but this isn't important, anyway a PITA.
>
> So, after installing the 'Standard System utilities' what should I do
> next to get Debian stable?
>
> I won't download and burn 8 DVDs.
>
> Best,
>
> Ralf

If I would copy /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider and /etc/ppp/options from
one of my Ubuntu installs to Debian. What do I need to install to get a
PPPoE connection? How do I add the password?

How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

William Hopkins's picture

On 05/30/11 at 01:00am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi Smile
>
> I'm new to this list. I'm a long time Linux only user, interested in
> audio and MIDI. Regarding to several issues with distros I did use, e.g.
> coercion to use PulseAudio, I like to switch the distro.

Great! Welcome.
>
> At the moment I've got Suse 11.2 64-bit, used to run e.g. proprietary
> lightscribe apps, that even don't run on my Edubuntu Maverick 32-bit, an
> absolutely stable and completely MIDI jitter free audio MIDI
> workstation, but the mouse wheel doesn't work on this install. The
> latest install is a 64-bit Ubuntu Studio Natty 64-bit. I've given up to
> fix the issues I've got with this install, but already installed Debian
> stable with 'Standard System utilities' by the
> debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst CD.
>
> When I logged in tty1 and tried to run pppoeconf I noticed that
> pppoeconf isn't installed.
>
> Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> another way to get a PPPoE connection?

http://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE
>
> Is there a meta-package that will install a system with X, GNOME2, but
> without PA? I'll build a kernel-rt and a lot of audio apps myself, is
> there a meta-package that will install make, checkinstall etc.?

Debian packages are binaries, because Debian is a binary distribution. So there is no 'make' component to installation.
The metapackage for X.org is xorg, and the metapackage for gnome is simply gnome. So `apt-get install gnome xorg` should get you started if you don't need to customize which packages to install.

> Btw. when I booted Ubuntu Natty, after installing this minimal Debian
> stable, I first has to search it between tons of grotesque GRUB menu
> entries, e.g. here isn't 64 Studio installed on my machine, but I get
> entries for 64 Studio installs that where installed in the past.

This means the grub auto-configuration has probably discovered that you still have older kernels or even operating systems installed, and as a courtesy (and because it isn't that smart) has provided menu options. You can `man grub` and read about the configuration options, and remove them yourself.

> When Natty started I got a wrong screen resolution and a bad vertically
> frequency for the CTR monitor. I edited grub.cfg manually, yes manually
> and since then, booting Natty is ok again. Unfortunately I seems to know
> different versions of GRUB2, because e.g. 'submenu' is ignored by
> Debian's GRUB, but this isn't important, anyway a PITA.

Sounds like you solved your issue.. Is there something you need?
>
> So, after installing the 'Standard System utilities' what should I do
> next to get Debian stable?

If you used the CD as you said and installed, you already have Debian stable. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question.
>
> I won't download and burn 8 DVDs.

Nobody is asking you to. For one thing, downloading every package, even in DVD format, is excessive and uses debian mirror bandwidth. The Debian method is to only download those packages you need.

Anyway, welcome to debian.

How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

Ralf Mardorf's picture

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 00:56 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> Sounds like you solved your issue.. Is there something you need?

Hi William Smile

regarding to GRUB2 I don't need help.

> If you used the CD as you said and installed, you already have Debian stable. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question.

I tried to use the nedinst CD ...

> > I won't download and burn 8 DVDs.
>
> Nobody is asking you to. For one thing, downloading every package, even in DVD format, is excessive and uses debian mirror bandwidth. The Debian method is to only download those packages you need.

... to avoid to download and burn 8 DVDs, resp. more than 50 CDs, but
PPPoE seems to be a big issue.

> Anyway, welcome to debian.

Thank you. In the past I used 64 Studio = Debian, later they switched to
Ubuntu and AFAIK now they switched back, but it's not released yet.

Ralf

How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

Stan Hoeppner's picture

On 5/29/2011 6:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> another way to get a PPPoE connection?

You buy a cheap consumer router, like everyone else does who isn't
provided one by their ISP. For instance:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156001

Find something similar there in Germany. Once you have it up and
running you'll kick yourself for not doing it long ago. Saves lots of
time and prevents headaches such as the one you're currently fighting.

How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

William Hopkins's picture

On 05/30/11 at 01:03am, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 5/29/2011 6:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> > another way to get a PPPoE connection?
>
> You buy a cheap consumer router, like everyone else does who isn't
> provided one by their ISP. For instance:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156001
>
> Find something similar there in Germany. Once you have it up and
> running you'll kick yourself for not doing it long ago. Saves lots of
> time and prevents headaches such as the one you're currently fighting.

You encourage him to buy something, and discourage him from learning? Where would we be if we all took your advice?
Ralf didn't imply he was incapable of learning or that he was looking for the absolute fastest option. Maybe preface such advice, instead of implying that this sort of lazy response is the best or only one.

Maybe he has an interest in learning, or doesn't want to be behind a NAT, doesn't want to spend money, or likes the options a linux router provides.

How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

Ralf Mardorf's picture

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 02:17 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 05/30/11 at 01:03am, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > On 5/29/2011 6:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > > Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> > > another way to get a PPPoE connection?
> >
> > You buy a cheap consumer router, like everyone else does who isn't
> > provided one by their ISP. For instance:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156001
> >
> > Find something similar there in Germany. Once you have it up and
> > running you'll kick yourself for not doing it long ago. Saves lots of
> > time and prevents headaches such as the one you're currently fighting.
>
> You encourage him to buy something, and discourage him from learning? Where would we be if we all took your advice?
> Ralf didn't imply he was incapable of learning or that he was looking for the absolute fastest option. Maybe preface such advice, instead of implying that this sort of lazy response is the best or only one.
>
> Maybe he has an interest in learning, or doesn't want to be behind a NAT, doesn't want to spend money, or likes the options a linux router provides.

Today I wish to install with or without learning, it's just essential
that I can set up a new Linux.

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 00:56 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> Debian packages are binaries, because Debian is a binary distribution.
So there is no 'make' component to installation.
> The metapackage for X.org is xorg, and the metapackage for gnome is
simply gnome. So `apt-get install gnome xorg` should get you started if
you don't need to customize which packages to install.

It's said that I don't need to install PulseAudio, that's very important
for my needs, so the GNOME package doesn't set up PA?

Pardon for my broken English, I wish to know if there's a meta package
to install packages for "autoconf, subversion, checkinstall, fakeroot
build-essential kernel-package" etc. ... anyway, at the moment there's
no pppoeconf command after installing by the netinst CD.

"Debian Installer, starting with February 2007 supports installing a
system via PPPoE and will configure the system accordingly. At the
regular Debian Installer boot line just append modules=ppp-udeb (e.g.:
type installgui modules=ppp-udeb to start a graphical installation via
PPPoE). " (http://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE)

I did boot "install modules=ppp-udbe", but pppoeconf is missing. During
installation I didn't notice that there was an option regarding to
PPPoE.

How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

William Hopkins's picture

On 05/30/11 at 11:34am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> > > another way to get a PPPoE connection?

> > Debian packages are binaries, because Debian is a binary distribution.
> > So there is no 'make' component to installation.
> > The metapackage for X.org is xorg, and the metapackage for gnome is
> > simply gnome. So `apt-get install gnome xorg` should get you started if
> > you don't need to customize which packages to install.
>
> It's said that I don't need to install PulseAudio, that's very important
> for my needs, so the GNOME package doesn't set up PA?

The gnome package does not depend on pulseaudio.

> Pardon for my broken English, I wish to know if there's a meta package
> to install packages for "autoconf, subversion, checkinstall, fakeroot
> build-essential kernel-package" etc. ... anyway, at the moment there's
> no pppoeconf command after installing by the netinst CD.

I don't know if there is, but you seem to be aware of what you need already. build-essential, autcoconf, automake,etc.
Just install them each as 'apt-get install autoconf build-essential fakeroot subversion' etc.

>
> "Debian Installer, starting with February 2007 supports installing a
> system via PPPoE and will configure the system accordingly. At the
> regular Debian Installer boot line just append modules=ppp-udeb (e.g.:
> type installgui modules=ppp-udeb to start a graphical installation via
> PPPoE). " (http://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE)
>
> I did boot "install modules=ppp-udbe", but pppoeconf is missing. During
> installation I didn't notice that there was an option regarding to
> PPPoE.

Pppoeconf is missing? Is this after you've completed the full installation?

How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

Ralf Mardorf's picture

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 14:11 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 05/30/11 at 11:34am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > > Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> > > > another way to get a PPPoE connection?
>
> > > Debian packages are binaries, because Debian is a binary distribution.
> > > So there is no 'make' component to installation.
> > > The metapackage for X.org is xorg, and the metapackage for gnome is
> > > simply gnome. So `apt-get install gnome xorg` should get you started if
> > > you don't need to customize which packages to install.
> >
> > It's said that I don't need to install PulseAudio, that's very important
> > for my needs, so the GNOME package doesn't set up PA?
>
> The gnome package does not depend on pulseaudio.
>
> > Pardon for my broken English, I wish to know if there's a meta package
> > to install packages for "autoconf, subversion, checkinstall, fakeroot
> > build-essential kernel-package" etc. ... anyway, at the moment there's
> > no pppoeconf command after installing by the netinst CD.
>
> I don't know if there is, but you seem to be aware of what you need already. build-essential, autcoconf, automake,etc.
> Just install them each as 'apt-get install autoconf build-essential fakeroot subversion' etc.
>
> >
> > "Debian Installer, starting with February 2007 supports installing a
> > system via PPPoE and will configure the system accordingly. At the
> > regular Debian Installer boot line just append modules=ppp-udeb (e.g.:
> > type installgui modules=ppp-udeb to start a graphical installation via
> > PPPoE). " (http://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE)
> >
> > I did boot "install modules=ppp-udbe", but pppoeconf is missing. During
> > installation I didn't notice that there was an option regarding to
> > PPPoE.
>
> Pppoeconf is missing? Is this after you've completed the full installation?
>

Yep, neither during installation, nor for the finished installation. I
used CD1 of the regular CDs and installed Debian stable, then I had no
issue regarding to PPPoE. Until now I'm satisfied, but there's still a
lot of work to do.

How to use the net install CD with PPPoE?

Ralf Mardorf's picture

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 01:03 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 5/29/2011 6:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Do I need to download and install pppoeconf + dependencies or is there
> > another way to get a PPPoE connection?
>
> You buy a cheap consumer router, like everyone else does who isn't
> provided one by their ISP. For instance:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156001
>
> Find something similar there in Germany. Once you have it up and
> running you'll kick yourself for not doing it long ago. Saves lots of
> time and prevents headaches such as the one you're currently fighting.
>