Scratchy sound when encoding mkv to DVD with mencoder

François TOURDE's picture

Forums: 

Hi,

I've a problem trying to convert a mkv video into a DVD suitable for a
home DVD player:

I use stable/testing, with debian-multimedia repositories for mplayer
and mencoder, and when I try to encode the mkv, I've a scratchy sound,
and only the firsts minuts of the video encoded.

Using mplayer to read the mkv works like a charm, but mencoder say after
a few seconds:

> Too many audio packets in the buffer: (4096 in 4194304 bytes).
> Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
> For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
>
> Flushing video frames.
> Writing index...
>
> Overhead: 2.566% (1060247 / 41314921)
> Writing header...
>
> Video stream: 2901.276 kbit/s (362659 B/s) size: 38746537 bytes 106.840 secs 2331 frames
>
> Audio stream: 192.000 kbit/s (24000 B/s) size: 2574336 bytes 107.264 secs

My encoding options are:

mencoder -really-quiet -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:vstrict=0:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:aspect=16/9 -ofps 25 -o

I've looked at the net (not enough?), but nothing really revelant.

mencoder: 3:1.0~rc4+svn20110505-0.0
mplayer: 3:1.0~rc4+svn20110505-0.0

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scratchy sound when encoding mkv to DVD with mencoder

Ron Johnson's picture

On 05/29/2011 04:21 PM, François TOURDE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a problem trying to convert a mkv video into a DVD suitable for a
> home DVD player:
>
> I use stable/testing, with debian-multimedia repositories for mplayer
> and mencoder, and when I try to encode the mkv, I've a scratchy sound,
> and only the firsts minuts of the video encoded.
>
> Using mplayer to read the mkv works like a charm, but mencoder say after
> a few seconds:
>
[snip]
>
> My encoding options are:
>
> mencoder -really-quiet -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:vstrict=0:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:aspect=16/9 -ofps 25 -o
>
> I've looked at the net (not enough?), but nothing really revelant.
>
> mencoder: 3:1.0~rc4+svn20110505-0.0
> mplayer: 3:1.0~rc4+svn20110505-0.0
>
> Any help appreciated.

Not help making *mencoder* work, but I have great success using
HandBrakeCLI (package handbrake-cli) to convert DVDs to mkv and m4v.

Scratchy sound when encoding mkv to DVD with mencoder

François TOURDE's picture

Le 15124ième jour après Epoch,
William Hopkins écrivait:

> I don't want to discourage you from posting to debian-user, as someone there may have a solution for you (although I regrettably do not).
> But may I recommend the mplayer-user ML?

Hi.

I prefer post here because I think it's debian & debian-multimedia
specific, cause it was working well weeks ago.

Another reason is that the last time I posted to mplayer ML, the
leitmotiv response was: "Install the last/svn/git version", and I don't
want to do that Wink

But thanks for your good generic recommendation Wink

Scratchy sound when encoding mkv to DVD with mencoder

Ron Johnson's picture

On 05/30/2011 03:36 AM, François TOURDE wrote:
> Le 15124ième jour après Epoch,
> William Hopkins écrivait:
>
>> I don't want to discourage you from posting to debian-user, as someone there may have a solution for you (although I regrettably do not).
>> But may I recommend the mplayer-user ML?
>
> Hi.
>
> I prefer post here because I think it's debian& debian-multimedia
> specific, cause it was working well weeks ago.
>

The same commands applied to the same input created good sound some
weeks ago but now produces bad sound? (That would have been good to
know in your OP.)

Scratchy sound when encoding mkv to DVD with mencoder

François TOURDE's picture

Le 15124ième jour après Epoch,
Ron Johnson écrivait:

> The same commands applied to the same input created good sound some
> weeks ago but now produces bad sound? (That would have been good to
> know in your OP.)

Yes... and yes. Sorry for omitting this info.

It's probably after an upgrade, but I can't really point the date of
that.