So I just got a new pc...and I decided to go with linux as the operating system. I have some experience with linux but I am definatelly very rusty...
I think I have almost got the raid up and running! I am able to access the mounted file from root comand line. After it is mounted, other users cannot see the mounted volume. I think I have changed the necesary permisions in fdisk and mdadm.conf (see below), but when i attempt to mount from the gui or "mount -a" i get the following error:
"mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so"
Ive been at this all day and I just cant get it to work.
What I did:
1. partitioned both drives, 1 partition, fd tag (linux raid auto detect)-http://pastebin.com/9Aykudqc
2. followed this thread to setup mdadm raid0 https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup
3. added this line to mdadm.conf: "ARRAY /dev/md0 metadata=1.2 name=wheezy:0 UUID=a8941b07:cad94770:6c842b37:b36c38ba"
4. formated dev/md0 <mkfs.ext4 -v -m .005 -b 4096 -E stride=32,stripe-width=64 /dev/md0>
5. added this line to fstab "/dev/md0 /media/HDD ext4 rw,user,exec,umask=000 0 0"
Personalities : [raid0]
md0 : active raid0 sdb1 sdc1
3907026944 blocks super 1.2 512k chunks
HDD# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 18 14:12 .
drw-rw-rw- 7 root root 4096 Dec 18 14:12 ..